Cucumbers and little identified approaches to prevent type 2 diabetes
Do you think you're cool as a cucumber?
Not merely is the cucumber known for it’s power to cool-down the body, it has also been proven to help with jaundice, diarrhea, epilepsy, sore throat, conjunctivitis (redness of the eye) and swelling of extremities.
Often you should attempt to deseed the cucumber as the body can have a problem digesting the seeds. You can deseed them yourself easily by cutting them in two and ultizing a spoon to remove the seeds or if you want to eliminate this task it is possible to buy cucumbers that are already seeded.
Fresh cucumbers are easy to add to salads and for an easy salad just toss diced cucumbers with sliced red onions, red tomatoes and your favorite all-natural, low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. This can be a fast way to make a refreshing salad that reaps the benefits of cucumber.
Beta cells contained in the pancreas produce the hormone insulin.Cucumber is found to possess a hormone needed by the beta cells in the insulin production. Moreover, the Glycemic Index of cucumbers is found to be zero.
Why Cucumbers have not a glycemic index listed? Does this imply they do not raise blood sugar?
Not at all. It only denotes that under the "rules" for the concept of the glycemic index, it is too difficult to get an accurate number. It is because you'll need to eat a very big amount of the food to get 50 grams of carbohydrate at the same time in order to be tested. Usually, the lower the quantity of carbohydrate in a vegetable and the more fiber it has, the less the increase in blood glucose will be.
The carbohydrates are primarily responsible of the raise of the glucose level.But the carbohydrates within the cucumber are easily digestible in a diabetes patient’s stomach.
Suggestions for Preparing Cucumbers:
Unwaxed cucumbers don't need to be peeled but should be washed before cutting. Cucumbers may be sliced, diced or cut into sticks.
A Few Quick Serving Ideas:
- Use half-inch thick cucumber slices as petite serving "dishes" for chopped vegetable salads.
- Mix diced cucumbers with sugar snap peas and mint leaves and toss with rice wine vinaigrette.
- For refreshing cold gazpacho soup that takes five minutes or less to make, simply purée cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add diced cucumber to tuna fish or chicken salad recipes.
Cool Cucumber Salad Recipe:
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 red onion, sliced paper-thin
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. Reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Pinch dried red pepper flakes
Preparation per 8 servings:
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Marinating time: 1 hour
1. Combine the cucumbers, carrots, red onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
2. Combine the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over cucumbers, cover, and refrigerate for one hour. Salad might be eaten with a fork.
Nutritional Values per Serving Size: 1/2 cup
About the writer:
Suzanne Ault publishes articles for the recipes for diabetes blog, her personal hobby blog centered on cooking ideas to prevent diabetic issues.
My Complete Bio: http://www.diabeticdietrecipes.org/about